I made this recipe a couple of days ago to try it out for my newsletter and it is really good. Also very easy to make, it took about 10 minutes to get everything ready and then about 15 minutes to cook. I used two cloves of garlic, you may want to adjust depending on your preference for garlicky-ness.
2/3 cup pine nuts
20 large, fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 whole, peeled garlic cloves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces of whole wheat pasta, the shape I used is called cavatappi
1 pound asparagus spears, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces shiitake or white button mushrooms, or a combination, sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine pine nuts, basil, parsley, garlic and olive oil in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Boil a large pot of water. Add pasta and cook according to package instruction. Five minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the asparagus.
- In a saute pan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
- When pasta is cooked, remove 1/2 cup of the cooking water and strain the pasta and asparagagus.
- Transfer pasta and asparagus back to the pot with half of the reserved cooking water. Stir in the basil mixture. Mix in the mushrooms. Add in additional reserved pasta cooking water if needed.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Check out my health coaching website: www.lindatabach.com